Wednesday, March 7, 2012

SO, what about media?!?

So, this is media week- starting today.

But I am already writing this blog, which means that I am connected to the internet!
AND I am continuing the possessions part of the experience into this week, so I am kind of going double-duty here.

I love media. Are there things that I do that distract me from what I should be doing? Sure.
Here are a few:
1. Apps- Words with Friends, Scrambled, and especially Bejeweled Blitz take up too much time. I am quitting. For a week.

2. Pinterest- whoa... this site can suck time away like nothing else. Do I really need to be spending time looking at things that I will probably never make/create/do? (Yes, I do- because it is inspiring.) But I can live without it for one week. (only one.) :)

3. Facebook- Now, this is a great tool that I use to keep in touch with folks. But what I don't need to be doing? Looking at wedding photos of a friend of a friend who I have never met; judging people based on their status updates; and being a stalker (in the words of Mr. Schultz- he knows me all too well.) So, I will use facebook, one hour a day. But, hopefully in a better way- and no more stalking. (see next blog for the "plan.")

4. TV- yes, this also has a caveat. I saw a birthday card once that went something like this-- "In honor of your birthday... we could do a waltz; make a quilt; create a gourmet dinner; plant a tree... and then on the inside it said: "But because we are us, we will dedicate tonight's TV watching to you." HA! Okay- so this totally sums up Steve and me. We work such different schedules that when we do have a night at home together it means: cooking dinner together and catching up on all our favorite shows on DVR. I am not cutting this out. You may be thinking: "But you could do something so MUCH BETTER with your time together..." and you are probably right. But, for us-- for now-- this suits us well. And we don't just zone out not communicating: we visit, laugh together, and have a great time. This stays.

BUT-- I will cut out watching TV by myself. Aimlessly surfing the channels of crappy programming and settling for HGTV or re-runs of Big Bang Theory. This is out. And hopefully for longer than a week. Because yes, there are MUCH BETTER things that I could do with that time.

So, no iPhone apps, no video games, no lonely TV, no pinterest, no facebook stalking...

There will be internet-- but hopefully used in a "better" way- more about that in the next blog!

And now, since I can't hop over to pinterest or check out vacation pictures of a long lost "friend" from high school, I am going to go for a walk.

With love, (From the internet)
Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment