Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It does matter-

So, I am going to kind of waver this week between posts about possessions and posts about media. This one goes back to possessions--

So, I was at a high school choir concert last week. There was a choir of 10 young men. Their "apparel" was white shirts, black pants, and ties. I couldn't help but notice that one of the boys didn't have a tie... and a couple other boys had very old ties that were more for a 7-year old than a 10th grader. I got to thinking: This group needs ties. Now, my first thought was to buy new ties... then I thought maybe send a gift card so they could pick out their own ties. Then my Bible Study friends came into the picture---

I mentioned this on Monday about wanting to send ties to these young men. Right away, each person said, I would have some ties you could send! And yesterday-- 20 ties were in my office! I am expecting to get more today! I am so excited! I will send them to the school. The choir can take what they need-- but I am sure there are more young men that can use the ties. For interviews, family occasions, etc. They aren't used a lot, so for a family who is counting every penny, a tie might be a difficult thing to spend money on... so I hope that ALL these ties will find great homes (necks-ha!) and make these boys feel like the young men that they are!

Then today, coming in, someone at church asked me about the ties. I told her what I was doing, and she responded with-- "They probably don't care what they look like." Ugh. This statement hit me like a ton of bricks. 1. Because I found it borderline offensive... and 2. Because I am sure that I have said something like that before--

It made me think about two things.
First, when we give, are we giving the BEST we have? Or are we giving "discards?"
Second, it does matter! People do care what they look like-- all people care. So, as I give to others, I pray that I will be caring and conscious-- sending only things that will make someone else feel special and beautiful (or in the case of the ties- handsome).

Because it does matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment